Wednesday, July 30, 2008

Korean Complete Extremes Of Service!

Yesterday, I was talking on my phone and the screen went blank! Shit, I thought.....this is the last thing I need to do on my week off, is to have to take it and have all the nonesense of having no phone and all that....blah blah blah.

Off I went to the LG store and they proceeded to tell me to go to the LG Service Centre. I had been there before and it is quite close to my house. I asked them, "Shinyongsan, right?" They said yes and off I went.


I got there in about 10 minutes, but the place had moved. I tried to get directions from the people that had stalls beside the old place, but to no avail. Their English was non-comprehensible....the only thing I remember is....out, out and look......whatever!


I ended up about a 10 minute walk at the big, massive, LG Telecom Building. I went to reception and asked if they knew where the service centre was. Of course, no-one knew and I waited there the best of 25 mintues until finally, the girl was clever enough to get a hold of the phone number and I talked to someone from the place.


Unbelievable really when you think that this is the main headquarters and no-one has a number to link to the service centre. I understand that this is another part of the company, but you would think that each part would at least have an idea where to get all the numbers of the different LG stores and centres. T.I. K. THIS IS KOREA!!!!!!!


His English was passable, but still a bit hard to understand. Anyway, I got him to tell the girl the directions in Korean and she could write them down and then I could give them to a taxi driver. I did this and low and behold 5 minutes in a taxi.....I could have walked.....we got to Yongsan, which I know very well. I bought my ipod there. I walked across the street and the LG Service Centre was in the basement of the Kookmin Bank Building. It is actually closer to where I live now!


Got inside and the woman gave me a ticket and I filled in my name and address. I had the original contract with me from when I bought the phone. It was only 4 months ago, actually.

My number was called and I got up to the window and the man asked me what was wrong. I speak enough Korean to be able to basically explain a little.....he understood. He tested it right there and then and said there was a chip problem and if I could wait 30 minutes, he would repair it there and then. Of course! I said. Couldn't believe that they would service it there and then. They were so nice and so professional. I watched him pull my phone apart and then watched him go over to another fella and get something soldered. I sat away from the technician on a bench, listening to my ipod.


25 mintues later and true to his word, the tech came over and handed me my phone along with his business card. What great service, I must say. From one extreme to another. From being totally peeved off at the lack of knowledge of the LG staff, to extreme happiness to have my phone back and no charge at all, either.


Went to the British Embassy today and found out that all I have to do is show my birth certificate and bring my old passport that I have with me in Korea, from 1990, 2 pics and the form and money, and I will get a new British Passport. The woman at the embassy said something about in the near future, the rules are going to stiffen up a bit and most people will be dealt with on an individual basis and will have to be approved by the office in London.


My sister, Jackie, is bringing my birth certificate to England when we visit there, so I will have it when I come back to Korea and then start the ball rolling and get my British Passport.


Went to the gym, had a good workout and feel like I have had a very productive day. Got a lot done and off to teach one of my favourite students, Alex, tonight at 7.30. Off for a nice afternoon kip now.....that is what you are supposed to do on your vacation.....things that you normally can't do when you are working......oh yeahhhhhhh!!!!!!!!!

1 comment:

Dave Anjema said...

phone ok now? good story, makes me miss Korea a little bit! NOT! miss hanging out with you guys tho!