Saturday, February 09, 2008

Staying Home Watching Football All Weekend

The month's sobriety was broken on Wednesday and Thursday night due to Gareth visiting from Ulsan, which is about 4 hours south of Seoul.

We hung out Wed night and went to a jazz bar on Thursday night. Dave, Rob, Richard and I all hung out that night. I didn't drink a lot, but still broke the month's plan to quit drinking. Oh well, back at it again this weekend. That is not drinking, by the way!


Couldn't go to the gym on Thur or Friday as it was shut, but had a good workout today. I started squatting again. For those of you that have never done squats. They kill!!! They are, however, one of the best overall exercises for building pure strength and work almost every muscle in your whole body. I haven't squatted for a while, but didn't realize how much they hurt!


I still did 4 sets; first set at 135 for 10 reps, second set at 155 for 8 reps, third set at 185 for 6 reps and the last set at 225 for 4 reps. I don't do any of those 'sissy' squats that only go about a quarter down, I squat right down to my ankles, so you have to really push with your legs and back. I wore a belt, so my back was fine.


I am going to do the main three again, squat, deadlift and bench. Give the other exercises a rest and stick to the main three. Run on top of that and walk also. I walked today also for 5 km and about 40 mins. I feel good right now, but am sure that my legs will be sore tomorrow. I love it, though! That kind of pain is always what I have liked. Call me mental, but that is the life of a weightlifter. No pain, no gain!!!!!!


I am looking forward to getting stronger again and back to the level of lifting I was doing a few years ago. You never really lose it, just need to start slowly and work your way back. Is that not true with anything that you give up on in your life?


Watching football at home and am back onto the non-drinking for the rest of the month. Watching Newcastle at the moment and Owen has scored again! I will watch the Everton match after this and maybe one of the other games, too.


I finished reading "The Kite Runner," which my sister had sent me. I started it the day before yesterday, but only read about 20 pages. I finished the whole thing, yesterday!

It was a very sad book, but highly entertaining and very well written. If you haven't gotten a chance already, when you do, read it. You will like it, a lot. It is set in Afghanistan and gives a little insight into what life was like there at the time of the Russian invasion and then after they left.


Liverpool play tomorrow without the services of Torres, who is injured. They play Chelsea, at Chelsea. It is a very important game and I hope we can get a win.

Also the Manchester derby is tomorrow and it is a very special occasion as it is the day to remember the "Munich Disaster" back in the 1950s when 20 plus people including reporters and some of the most famous Utd players at the time, all perished as the plane was trying to take off from Munich. There is a little controversy related to the fact of whether the fans will observe the minute's silence with respect tomorrow, before the game starts. We shall see!!!!!!!


No comments: