Wednesday, April 16, 2008

Time For Reflection


Death is such a part of life, but always so hard to deal with. Today, I found out that Isaiah my co-worker, lost his mother, without any warning at all. It certainly puts life into perspective and the "STUFF" that we worry about, really is secondary to the actual gift of life that we are given each and every day!


I wish Isaiah all the strength and courage at this time of need and offer him and his family my deepest condolences. I cannot begin to understand how much pain he is feeling.

I had dinner with him tonight after school and we talked briefly about his mother. She was only 54 or so, but did so much for so many people in this world. She was a foster mother to literally 100's of children, as well as adopting various children throughout stages of her life. She sounded like she was a wonderful woman and the world will miss her kindness and generosity.


Isaiah told me that her hero was Mother Theresa and she had always thought about going to India and helping the less fortunate. She never had the chance to go, but Isaiah said that he might just go and do what she never had the chance to do.


Isaiah was due to have his contract finish at the same time as me, April 30th. However, he will not be re-signing now due to the circumstances and he has no idea what he is going to do in the future, but for now just has to worry about getting home for his mother's funeral service on Monday.


Also on another sad note, I will miss Jason, a friend of mine, who just left to work in China. He was a good friend and quite a character. He will be missed here in Korea, but I have already promised him that I will visit him next year in China. I have never been to China so it will give me a chance to visit him and also to see another good friend, Ben.


I am sad in my heart for Isaiah's loss and also for my friend's abscence, but feel fortunate to be alive and will try to use these life lessons as a catalyst to enjoy each and everyday a little bit more than I have been recently.


In memory of Isaiah's mother: Give to others and give often. There is no better feeling in the world!

No comments: