Tuesday, October 10, 2006

Nothing Like A Couple Of Good Night's Sleep.

I didn't feel much like blogging after coming back from Taiwan. I think it was due to being absolutely exhausted. Dave and I got a lot in in a few days, but it was a good trip full of good memories and good times.

I have been to the gym twice since I got back and I think that nackered me out too. I had a good night's sleep last night, by my standards anyway. I feel rejuvenated today and ready to face the world with my happy face...... as always... well sometimes... well okay sporadically.... oh whatever!



Dave and I landed in Taipei and then proceeded where and how to get to downtown Taipei. We figured out the bus and we were on our way. The bus trip was kind of cool as it was a double decker or should I say looked like half a double decker.

The highway was just like any other highway in the world except this one had palm trees and loads of other types of trees on either side of it. I think they did a good job hiding the highway from some of the areas where the Taiwanese live.

The bus driver was much better than the bus drivers in Korea, something that I commented on almost instantly. The taxi drivers in Taipei ended up being much better too and not crazy like they are in Korea and constantly on the pedal, pushing and stopping, pushing and stopping.

Back in Korea taking the taxi yesterday was a reality check. One of the bad things about coming back to Korea, but only one of few. I am genuinely happy to be back here and must say I like living in Korea...... surprised are you?

Once at the bus stop, we hooked up with a cab driver that took us to the main downtown, which we had already passed on the bus! It didn't matter as the fella spoke English very well and was very informative about Taipei and told us a lot of stuff like about how many taxis and what the general feel was like in Taipei.




We got out downtown and then went looking for hotels, which Dave had got a list copied of at the airport from a very nice young man that was a great help to us. We looked at the list while we were in the taxi and then decided on one to have a look at.

We ended up staying at that one and got what they called a suite, with two double beds in it. It ended up being an okay hotel, but not one that we wanted to stay in again, as it was not that clean and for the money we paid, we knew there were better, cleaner hotels.

It was very central however to the Taipei Main Station and to the subway. Dave had his map, which he used religiously during the trip and I must say did a great job for us. Dave was very good at finding things on the map and he got us to a lot of places with the aid of the map. It was well used by the time we finished our trip in Taipei.

After checking in, we decided to go and start exploring. We went to get something to eat and walked around a little to get ourselves orientated. We ended up going to a quite affluent area, which was very close to the Taipei 101 Tower. It was very Americanized, something we didn't particularly like. We had gone there to see Taiwanese culture, not American. Anyway, we hummed and harred about going to eat and where and finally decided that we would go to another area and get out of "Little America."

We met one girl though, Sherry, as we were leaving and she told us that she worked at a night club called 'Luxy." This was great as she got us on the guest list, meaning we didn't have to pay to get in. We went there twice during our trip and had a good time each time we went. She gave us her number and she was a really good contact to have. We were quite lucky to meet her, but I had egged on Dave to go and say hello, so I guess our teamwork helped us in the end.

That is the end of part one of I don't know how many. I have no pics at work, so I will do another blog with some pics of Taipei on it, at home.






1 comment:

Dave Anjema said...

I don't remember taking a nap on that first day! we got right into the soju didn't we?