Wednesday, July 04, 2007

Prayers On The Subway And New Students!

Sometimes so many unusual things happen here in Korea that I just forget to write about them. Well, today I made sure that I remembered to write about what happens as a usual thing on the subway; people lay pieces of paper with prayers on them on people's laps.

I don't know what it is for, but I am assuming that they are looking for donations. Most of the people that lay the papers on the people's lap don't say anything, but one time I saw a guy get down on his knees and actually do a prayer in Korean.
Penny on the left and Michelle on the right.


It is funny because even if people are napping on the subway, they still get papers put on their lap. The prayer givers usually don't put a prayer on a foreigners lap as the prayer is in Korean and I think it is more of the Buddhist thing going on, so they think that most of us are not interested in Buddhism.
Peter with his party hat on. He is still in my new class!


It is interesting to watch though and some of the Koreans are a little unreceptive at times. They seem to tolerate the constant selling of many items on the subway as well as the prayer givers.


There was even a woman last week that was carrying a cross and chanting as she walked from each subway car to the next. It was very loud chanting and although I could not understand her, I was sure that she was talking about not going to hell and going to heaven! She was tolerated also. I think it has a lot to do with the Confuscionism in this country. It teaches tolerance even when you are bumped into and shook out of your tree by someone shouting so loud on their cell phone that the next planet can hear it......seriously they are so so loud at times.


I am well used to a lot of things, but today as I was walking to catch my bus from the subway exit, some older fella walked right beside me and shouted at me, I mean shouted at me, although he was right next to my ear, "Hey you, hey you, are you Russian man?" I didn't reply at all, which is what I tend to do now whenever someone is ignorant in English. By the way, ignorance of the language is no excuse in my books. They should know better and just learn some manners. Not all of the Korean people do that, only the older men and some of the younger guys.
They just do not get our culture at times. The funny thing is that they would never do that to each other in their own culture too! It seems like the foreigners are free game for anything.
James is a little handicapped and such a cute kid. Everytime I see him and he sees me, he always says, "Hot, it is hot teacher!" His pronunciation is awesome and he seems to really like English class. He is with Isaiah this semester now.


Even at the schools, the same problems exist. The students shout at the teachers, ask them for food and use some pretty bad manners towards the foreign teachers as a whole. They would not dare to talk to their own teachers that way or ask them for food or money or anything. It is like there is one set of rules for their own teachers and one set of rules for "US!"


I don't mind it most of the time, but I never let them get away with it for a moment. I tell them that it is rude and not to shout or ask for anything from me. It takes a while to sink in, but once they have stood in the corner with their hands up in the air for about 10 minutes, they don't feel like doing it again........haha......I love Korea for that!!!!!!
Linda on the left, Helen on the right and Penny and Michelle behind them. Linda is still in my class. Isaiah got the other three!


On the school note- I have had all my students changed except for maybe 2 or 3 in each class. Isaiah has got all my students and I have got all of his. I am cool with it as I think it is a good idea for the kids to hear different accents and to see a different teaching style.
Teachers have different styles just like anyone in a job that requires a lot of discipline and dedication. Anyone that says teaching is easy, has never taught in their life.......haha. I am not bemoaning my job. I am just stating a fact.


There is no way I would ever want to be a teacher in North America. The teachers there are completely handicapped and it is all because of the parents who try to protect their children even when they have done something wrong. Way to go parents!!!!! You all bitch about the state of the school and education system and most of you are the ones that have made it that way. The balance shifted from way too much discipline to diddly shit discipline now..........so I hope you are proud of yourselves for raising a bunch of wild undiscipline kids!!!
It is not all parents, I know, but the majority have risen to the top and taken control and still bitch about it, just like the non-smokers despite the fact that smoking is not illegal and the government makes millions off of it. That is my preaching for today done anyway.


I took a couple of pics of my first class students. They are so so cute. They are only 7 years old and are so small and the girls and boys are just so cute that you want to give them a big hug everytime you see them. It is cool to do that here in Korea. People don't think you are a pedophile or weird or a pervert. A refreshing thing that teachers here always talk about and like a lot. What a way to start your day-hugging a cute little student that loves you, the teacher.
Suzie on the left and Lucy on the right. Suzie was so shy, but is coming along good now. I still have Lucy in my new class and she is one of the best students. Her pronunciation is awesome and she is a very very smart girl. Look how cute they are though!


Often the students will rub my arms because I have so much hair on them. They are not used to seeing that as most Koreans have very little body hair especially arm or chest hair. They just look at me and smile and then say, "Teacher, you are like a bear!!!!!"


It will take me about another week to memorize the 60 odd names again, but it is a challenge and I like it. Isaiah was a little upset as he said he was starting to bond with some of the kids. I just told him that it happens all the time and you will get the kids back at sometime in the next year. We will probably switch after the summer vacation is over.

No comments: