Tuesday, July 31, 2007

An Ulsan Weekend!

Ulsan is about 4 hours south of Seoul. Dave, Rob and I headed there Friday evening and arrived about 10.30pm. We were all set to have a party with 11 guys on the beach in Jongja, which is about 30 minutes outside of Ulsan.

The view from the front of the condo facing the beach. Gareth taking a picture of me taking a picture.




Rob stayed in Ulsan on Friday night with one of his friends and Dave and I helped load up Dan's van ( the guy that organized the whole thing) and loaded up Dave's car also. We headed to Dan's father-in-law's cottage for Friday night and then from there we headed to the condominium on the beach.

Baldy in Bundang, just before we left for Ulsan on Friday afternoon/evening.




Dan picked up A.J and Nick and Pete and we all headed to Dan's cottage for the Friday night. We all got to bed about 3am or so and woke up at 9am to a nice bacon and home fries breakfast complete with toast.....nice!!!!!!!
Guy playing cards. He hails from England.



It was very very hot and we knew that it would be great weather to be at the beach. Dave and I drove down to the beach and we met Dan there and unloaded all the stuff.

A guy called Nathan was already there with an English fella, Guy.

Nathan at the back, Gareth reading "Trainspotting."



There were sausages, garlic bread, tomato sauce, spaghetti, onions, home-made hamburgers, loads of cheese, garlic, hot-dog buns, bread, vegetables coming out the ying-yang and of course, 10-24 packs of beer, which disappeared by Sunday morning.

Guy on the left. Dan on the right, (the organizer of everything,) Nick is on Dan's left. Dan is French-Canadian and Nick is from British Columbia.




There was no liquor as such, but that changed late Saturday night, as Gareth, much like myself, hates beer and couldn't stomach anymore of it. So, he headed to the store and got some soju, which we mixed with orange-juice. Much better than beer, I must say.

A view of the beach. Sorry the pic is a little fuzzy.


Rob and Tony showed up late Saturday afternoon. We all had a good time. We swam in the sea, which was very salty and played cards, sat around and chatted and of course ate and ate and ate. Dan did all the cooking and most of everything else. I chipped in cleaning a bit and also washing a few dishes, but most of the others were idle arses and didn't help at all!!!!

Tony and I, with me showing how much I value his friendship....haha. Tony is from London, Ontario. Dave and I brought him here in 2000. He stayed ever since then and we became really good friends along with Rob.



Oh well, Dan said it was to be a test so that if he decided in the future to do some catering for others, he would get an idea how much work it would involve and how much time it would take.

Night time shot of the party place under the tent complete with bbq and tables.


Everything wrapped up about 1pm and most of the others went home except, Guy, Gareth, Nathan and myself.

The place where you washed all the sand and grime off of yourself.


Dan dropped of A.J, Nick and Pete and then came back for all his stuff. In between him dropping the fellas off, there was a massive storm and we watched it right from the beach front. It took Dan about 2 hours to get back due to the traffic. We loaded the rest of the stuff off and took a scenic route back to Ulsan to dodge the backup of traffic, which by now was about 5 kms back!!!!! We got back to Ulsan in good time and it was a really nice drive despite the drizzling rain.

Dan, the gracious host, cook, dishwasher, cleaner-upper and driver!



I went to the public bath and then met up with Gareth at his house about 7pm. Dave and Rob had left to go back to Seoul about 1pm, as they had classes on Monday. I had nothing. I am on vacation for the next 2 weeks!!!!!!!!!!

Gareth, catching an afternoon nap!


Gareth and I went round to Benchwarmers and then went and had some kalbi and some more soju. We ended up back at Benchwarmers and then headed home after that. We got home pretty late, but we had a good time and it was nice to hang out with Gareth, one on one.

I woke up on Monday morning feeling as sick as a dog. Gareth went to work at 2pm and I decided to wait until he finished at 8pm and then head back to Seoul. I was in no condition to ride a bus for 4 hours. At 8.30, Gareth came home and I headed for the bus station. I got the 10pm bus and arrived in Seoul at 2.30am. It was a good bus trip and I got to read a lot of one of the books that I am reading.

I am reading one book called, "The Face" by Dean Koontz and the other is "Rose Madder" by Steven King. Both books are really well written and exciting to read. I am about half way done both of them. Still don't have a tv in the house and I can't see myself getting one in the near future.

I woke up this morning, went to the bank and paid my rent, sent money to Canada and paid all my bills. Then I went to the gym and ran 8kms and had a full chest workout. Even with 3 days of not doing anything and eating most of the stuff that I never eat, I didn't put on any weight. I am still hovering around 210lbs. Time to put it into high gear and drop that 10 pounds.

No more late night eating, which was becoming a habit again especially after a few drinks. No more eating now after 10pm at night. I am going to go to the gym everyday during my holidays and work harder than I was before to get rid of those extra pounds and flatten my belly at little more.

The weather is really nice and it is nice and hot! I am planning on going around Seoul over the next 2 weeks and just explore things by myself. I don't want to spend a lot of money, but want to see some of the places that I have been meaning to see since I got here. I will have some photos of the places for sure and I will post a blog about some of them.

Not much else going on. I am enjoying the summer here in Seoul and am looking forward to the beginning of the Premier League, which starts on August 11th. The Community Shield is being played this weekend between Chelsea and Manchester United. They are showing it at Hollywood's on Sunday evening, so I will be there for sure.

They are also showing one of the Liverpool games, which is being played in Rotterdam, Holland. Should be a good game and there will be some of the lads watching it there as well, like Richie and Howie and maybe Matt!

My favourite mouse pad..........

2 comments:

tonight at noon said...

i can almost feel how hot korea must be right now from those shots of you guys at the beach, ouch... not looking forward to it, to be honest. sounds like you guys had a blast down there, glad you were all able to get away... talk soon, bg

tonight at noon said...

i can almost feel how hot korea must be right now from those shots of you guys at the beach, ouch... not looking forward to it, to be honest. sounds like you guys had a blast down there, glad you were all able to get away... talk soon, bg