Saturday, June 03, 2006

Today Was "D" Day For Me Again

Today it was time to start living healthy again and shed some of these extra pounds that are just sitting on me! I started off the day by deciding to make a list of the things that I needed to do to get healthier and keep my weight off.

Here they are in no particular order:
No more 'Twix' chocolate bars. ( I was having one every day for the last 6 months or so.)
No more coffee. (Averaging about 5 or 6 a day in work), drink water instead.
No more snacks like chips or cookies.
No more fried curry croquets from Paris Baguette. ( Usually 2 or 3 a day.)
No more beer. (Only vodka when I am out drinking.)
Smaller portions of food especially boiled rice.
No more pop. ( Don't usually drink it, but anyway.)
Eat less 'samjapsal' which really is bacon. (Very big part of the diet here.)
Eat less meat in general.
Eat more vegetables, which is easy to do here if you eat traditional non-fat Korean foods.
Take fruit to work everyday. A banana and an apple.
No more food by mouth after 10pm. ( The time I finish work.)
Exercise everyday at the gym.
Sleep more normal hours. ( Stop waking up and going on the internet.)
No waking up and having a quick bite of anything.

The list could go on and on, but I think the most important parts are in there. I went to the gym for the first time in about 6 weeks, after I finished work. I managed to run 4kms, non-stop and not at too bad of a pace. I ran the 4km including the first minute walk, in 29 minutes. Then I did a few sets of tricep exercises and one set of bicep exercises. I don't want to push my elbow too much still as it is a little weak still. I hope to push it more over the coming weeks.

I weighed myself when I finished my shower and I topped the scales at 105 kilos, which is 231 lbs. That is way too heavy for me and I feel too heavy. Oh well, I have started and that is the most important. I am now in my 10th month of not smoking, something I am very proud of, not even a puff! If I can quit smoking cold turkey like that, then losing the weight will take longer, but I am determined to get back below 200 again. I am not going to get too carried away, but want to live a healthier lifestyle and even if it means saying no to my friends sometimes.

Tomorrow I am going to the gym in the morning and then in the afternoon, Kyoung Hee and I are going to Yongin, which is a small city about 20 mins from Bundang. There are supposed to be lots of lovely places to visit with trees and parks everywhere. We will be going about 3 pm or so. Not sure if I will have any pics, but if I do, I will post them on the blog, of course.

Tuesday is a national holiday in Korea, so we all get the day off at Avalon. The new Summer session starts on Monday. I have all new classes with all new levels. I am also going to be teaching two Wisdom level classes, which are a little more intense than the other two levels. I am looking forward to the challenge, but once again will have about a hundred kids names to remember, as none of them I will know!!!!!!!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi Paul
I hope you stick to all the things as you stated in your blog and hope you can get down to your ideal weight which probably should be about 180lbs!!!Good luck anyway. Glad to hear you are staying with your girlfriend and hope you get things straight in that brain of yours and stop analysing yourself all the time and just be happy and content and get out of life all that you want. Take care of yourself and miss you always. Love. Mum oxoxox