Thursday, June 01, 2006

A Great Start To A Day!

On Wednesday morning, I was at Samsung Plaza really early, actually at the opening time, 10.30am. I watched all the employees in most of the stores doing their 'warm ups.' It was so cool to see. They were doing what looked like a martial arts routine. It was awesome to just watch them turning and lifting their arms in the air. Definitely a cultural phenomenon.

It got even better than that as I entered one area upstairs that actually has a Marks and Spencer's mini-boutique in it. As I was walking along the many stores, all the employees were lined up in front of each of their sections facing the area where people walk. As people walked by them, including myself of course, they bowed as they passed. It was awesome and I really felt like a customer. Again, another cultural phenomenon. That is why I love this place so much!!!!!! It was an awesome way to start a day and gave me a little hop in my step for the rest of the day.

At the top of Samsung Plaza, there is a food court complete with a McDonalds too. The nice thing about the place is that you can sit outside and they have tables and chairs with umbrellas and really nice benches. You can see that there has been a lot of thought put into making the customers happy and I think that is awesome.

I guess the only drawback that I can mention is that when you are shopping or just looking, the employees are trained to stick to you like glue. It can be a little irritating as they follow you like sheep! I have gotten used to it the best that I can, but sometimes it is quite annoying. It isn't because they are bugging you to buy something like in other countries, it is because they are meant to be giving you the best service possible. Again, another cultural phenomenon.

Today is Lyndsey's birthday, an American girl that I work with at Avalon. All of the foreign t eachers are going for food and drinks to celebrate her special day, tonight in Migeum, where I live by the way.

There is a restaurant at the bottom of my building that has 'Cajun' style bbq'd pork. It is awesome and very cheap too, by Korean standards. Rebecca, the Canadian girl that I work with, just moved into my building last week also. It will be cool to be able to just take the elevator up to my apartment when the night is over. Nothing like convenience to make your day!!!!!!

No comments: