Friday, March 31, 2006

April 7th, 2000. A monumental date in both my life and Dave's.

Dave my bestest friend and I doing
what we do best!

Well, Dave and I are fast approaching the anniversary of our arrival in Korea.The date was April 7th, 2000. Our lives have never been the same since.

Dave, while we were in Canada, had seen an article in the paper about taking a course to teach English in other countries to non-English speakers. He mentioned that he was going to take it in the January, as he was not working at the time.

I was still working at the City of London at the time, but hated the job so much that it was turning me into a vegetable... well I still am one of those anyway! Anyhow, I decided in Dec, 1999 that the millenium was coming, so I had better change my life sooner or later.

That was when I decided that I was going to quit the City of London as an employee. After Christmas Eve, I never went back again. The day after the holidays, I sat in front of my computer and typed my letter of resignation. Hit the print button and went to start my truck to drop the letter of at City Hall.

The truck was as dead as a doornail. Was that an omen? So, I hopped on a bus, something I hadn't done in many many years. Got off at City Hall and dropped the letter off. I thanked the corporation for all the opportunities they had given me, but it was time to move on. So, 15 years of seniority and 5 weeks paid vacation, pension money and a job for life..... Gone, long gone, thank you!

I had no idea what I was going to do, but knew that another day at the City was never going to fulfill me. Now back to the teaching English idea that Dave had mentioned.

We both took it in the February. Dave agreed to wait for me! There we were in the February mesmorised at the opportunities that they seemed to be telling us about. Believe me TESOL saved our lives and changed us forever and told us the total truth! Kudos to that organization then and now. They have a new president now by the way. Just go to http://www.internationaltesol.com/
I had decided to sell my house and get rid of everything that I owned, to just start a new life somewhere else. So, once again we could have gone earlier than the April, but for my house! Dave agreed once again to wait and we would go to Korea together. Anyway, my house sold in 10 days. Triplexes have a tendency to attract fast buyers..... tenant income!!!!!!!

Dave and I found a job thanks to a couple of Canadians that were already in Ulsan. Ironically, Dave and I are going to Dan Gauthier's wedding on April 30th in Ulsan. He is one of the fellas that recruited us here. We are looking forward to that.

So, that is my story of the last few years anyway. In between, I returned to Canada for 3 years and got my degree at The University of Toronto. Dave has been here the full 6 years. Trials and tribulations aside, we both couldn't be happier and have found our place on the planet, for now anyway......haha.

So next week, we are going to celebrate in style, to say the least.
What am I saying anyway? We ALWAYS do everything in style, if I must say so myself.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

oh paul.

that's kind of actually an inspirational story.

i'm so proud of you.
tear!

Dave Anjema said...

where is that? i don't remember that place...

Anonymous said...

Greets to the webmaster of this wonderful site! Keep up the good work. Thanks.
»

Anonymous said...

Your are Excellent. And so is your site! Keep up the good work. Bookmarked.
»

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.