Sunday, May 06, 2007

Standing On Buses

Although I have been here for more than 4 years now, I still cannot get used to the Korean concept of standing on buses that are travelling on the highway!!!

Yes, that is right. There are people standing in the aisle of the bus as the bus reaches speeds of 100km/h. I know in the West, it would not be allowed and there would be law suits all over the place if someone got injured.


I was actually taking the bus on Friday night from Itaewon to Bundang. The driver let 3 of us get on through the back doors, as the front door was blocked due to the people standing. I then proceeded to sit on the stairs facing the exit door. It was unbelievable really. Don't think that the drivers take any more care while driving with people standing either. They drive the same way; pumping the brake pedal, pushing the acclerator pedal up and down and in general taking quite a few chances, as always.


The drivers here would be fired in Canada or America, the way they drive. It is commonplace here also for the bus drivers to accost the other drivers in cars and honk the horns at them and sometimes even cut them off.......seriously!


I don't mind it much of the time, but you have to be weary when you get on the bus if you have a weak stomach, as the drivers will give you motion sickness everytime.


The Seoul Festival is winding down now. There were lots of sidewalk food stalls offering food from all countries around the world as well as other events all over Seoul. I never made it out to any of them. I just stuck around Itaewon and did my usual adventure walking routine. I am finding new places all the time and am enjoying all the delights that the area has to offer.


I am still keeping at my healthy diet and going to the gym 6 days a week. I am happy to say that I am now at 215lbs. That is 27 pounds lighter than when I arrived back in Korea, just over 6 weeks ago. I feel great, but like I said before, I have another 20 pounds to lose. I am targeting 198lbs right now as my ideal weight and figure I should be at that weight by the end of July. Once I reach that goal, then I will be heading for 190lbs. Consistency is the world and I will be Mr. Consistency.


Heard some other news this week also. Rob, the friend that I had a big row with in Canada and subsequently worked thing out with, is coming back to Korea around May 18th. Not sure where he will go, but I bet he will go back to old hick town Ulsan.

I hope he doesn't, as there are tons of more jobs here and loads more girls too. Well, whatever he does, I will be able to see him once in a while, if I feel like visiting there or vice-versa.


Watched the Liverpool second team play yesterday and they were absolute rubbish. The game didn't even mean anything, even to Wigan, as they ended up losing too. The last 2 games don't mean shit, so Benitez wants to make sure that he gets no injuries at all before the big final.


Found out yesterday that the day, or should I say the morning of the Champions Legaue Final (our time here in Korea,) it is a national holiday here and we all get the day off. That means that Hollywood's will be open, showing the match!!!!!! It should be great, as that means it will be full of the Scousers from around here or LFC supporters, watching the match. Can't wait ,to tell you the truth. I hope we win it 6 times.............

1 comment:

Dave Anjema said...

how about those yellow buses in Bundang? terrible!