Saturday, July 29, 2006

Korean Wildlife. Where Is It?

Korea has very little domestic wildlife. I don't see many birds and there are very few other animals that I have seen. I don't know if they have squirrels or chipmunks or anything else of the sort.

I know by talking to Korean people, they have told me that when the Japanese occupied Korea, they either killed a lot of the wildlife or took it out of the country. I am going to try and do a little research again on the matter, but think that there must be some truth to what they are saying.




I have seen lots of Mappies and a few Sparrows. The Sparrows are the really small ones and other than those two types of birds, I haven't seen any other ones. I have never seen small animals in the bush or on a walking path.

It was kind of one of those things that just creep up on you and you say to yourself. "Hey, there are no animals here!"

There are also not many cats, although I have seen a few. There are lots of dogs, but that is on the account of people buying them as pets. Most of the dogs are very small and you seldom see people walking a big dog. I saw a big Newfoundland a few weeks of go, though.

It amazes me really as Korea is a country of mountains. I thought there would have been more bears and other types of wildilife. I mentioned in class to my kids that there was a Korean bear and they said no way. Some of them did not know that there was a bear native to Korea.



I got this great pic from my Dad by email. I don't know what country it is from, but isn't it an awesome mix of colours and flowers. It looks like someone painted the landscape!


Dave and I are off to Itaewon to have a look around there and maybe do some shopping. I could do with a few t-shirts and short sleeved shirts for school. We are driving in his car there and it really is not that far away. I am also looking for a new camera. Something around 150 to 200 dollars will be more than good enough for me and have everyting I want on it.

My camera is on the blink and has been that way since I bought it. I got it at the Future Shop in Canada. They are usually great for servicing things, but I got shafted on this one. I only had the camera 2 weeks and the LCD monitor on the back was on the blink. I took it back and they sent it off to be repaired. I should have insisted then on a new one, not a repaired one. Oh well, you learn by your mistakes.

The Liverpool website are looking for people to write articles from places around the world about the Reds and their supporters. I sent off an email yesterday saying that I would be thrilled to contribute. Let's see what happens. I could be somewhat famous if I write on their website!

I would love to do something like that to tell you the truth. Keep your fingers crossed for me and I will keep you all informed about what goes on or not.

I have 3 days off this week, Monday to Wednesday. I am going to go to the gym twice a day, go to the public bath, read a few books and take some nice afternoon naps. I am going to enjoy the time off to tell you the truth. It will be the first time that I have had time alone in my own place here in Bundang, now that the ex-girlfriend is gone.

Dave and I are going to just chill tonight. Maybe go for a coffee or something and just take it easy. Most people in Korea are on holidays now for a week. It should be quite quiet around town. There will be a lot of people travelling all over the place this weekend. Most of the people here are off for the same week in August, Korea wide.

Believe it or not, most Koreans get a maximum of one week off a year. That would suck, don't you think?


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Can you vote for you to write for the 'Echo'?
cos let me know if I can as you would be the ideal world reporter!!!