Sunday, July 09, 2006

Shabu Shabu

shabu-shabu[SHAH-boo SHAH-boo] Absolutely one of my favourite dishes to eat nowdays. It is a little expensive, but for the health side of the meal, well worth it.

A Japanese dish consisting of raw meat (usually paper-thin slices of beef) and raw vegetables cooked by each diner at the table in a pot of hot broth.

The freshly cooked ingredients can be dipped into a variety of sauces provided for additional flavor. Once the meat and vegetables have been cooked and eaten, the broth, sometimes with noodles added, is then served.

The name is said to come from the sound that's made as the meat is gently swished through the broth.

Yesterday, Dave and I decided to have some shabu-shabu. It was buffet style and needless to say, we stuffed ourselves. It is such a healthy meal, which includes your choice of seafood as well as a hell of a lot of veggies and all cooked in a pot of broth whose flavour is second to none. We went to another area within Bundang called Yatap. There were lots of places to see and explore and we first went to a coffee shop and then off to the public bath for an hour and a half.

Once out of the public bath, we then ate some shabu shabu and then we decided to go to Samsung plaza and meet a friend of ours, Chris who is from LA. We went to a place called Posse (Western style bar as advertised.) It was an okay place and Dave ended up getting a pair of Heineken flip-flops for drinking 3 bottles. We were joking saying that his house is full of stuff attained at the 'bars!' Does he have a problem, do you think?

I don't know what is with my blog page, but I seem to be only able to post pics if I download them first and then do my writing. It is pissing me off to tell you the truth and I would love it if someone could give me advice on maybe what the problem is and how I can remedy it!

Now the World Cup is coming to an end, it will be back to regular blogging and hopefully I can post some interesting stories about Korea and its cultural nuances. We have speaking tests at the school on Monday and Tuesday, so we will be somewhat busy marking essays and doing all the other fun stuff that goes with the tests.

The weather here has been roasting hot and sweating is the norm lately. I am still hard at it going to the gym and the program is still a work in progress. I aim for about September or October to reach my goal of about 198 pounds. I am in no rush to lose the weight. I want to lose it healthily and keep it off using a good healthy diet of veggies and a little meat. It is working right now and I am not craving any sweets or the like lately.

Wish me luck and let's hope I can post pics of the new slim me in the months to come......yeahhhhhhhhhhhh!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

yes, it was tasty stuff..and so was that galbi place...leave it to me..I know the good places to eat man!