Tuesday, August 08, 2006

6 Months At Avalon On August 5th!!!!

6 months already at Avalon. It has gone by really quickly, I must say! I haven't had any holidays off that I booked in the 6 months also or a day off sick!!!!

I guess the old saying, "Time flies when you are having fun!" All in all, I would give Avalon about a 7 out of 10 for overall performance. They do expect way too much work compared to any other schools out there, but it is a challenging job.

Saying that though, I will not be resigning with them once this contract is finished. There are way better jobs out there with less work and stress and more money. I like to be challenged, but now Avalon are making me feel like a work horse.

I came to Korea to enjoy teaching the kids and not just go go go go all day with material and quizzes and stuff. I feel like I cannot have enough fun with the kids while learning and everything is way too fast paced for them to appreciate the nuances of conversational English.

The few times that I have had enough time to relax with the kids has been fun. Like all other schools, there are good classes, so-so classes and bad classes. Some of the kids are great and have wonderful imaginations, which keeps me young when I can get to see it out of them.






Take a look at these guys above. They have toilet seats in their hands. I guess this is the new way to play horseshoes? A good name for it would be shitshoes!!!!!! I wonder what they are throwing them around? Your guess is as good as mine.




I got my laptop back last night. Although it is working well, there are some major problems with it internally. It will not update and you cannot multi-task at all on it. I decided that I would buy a desktop off Derrick. I am getting a really good deal on it and it will have a 160G hard-drive, a dvd-cd combo burner and a 1G of ram. It will be very fast and it will be a good computer for me and at a great price. Derrick gets to get rid of some of his spare parts and I get an awesome computer also. I can use my laptop still, but it is a little slow and I had to turn off the Windows updates as well as the other protection program. It still has the anti-virus on it though.

Below is a good pic of Dad taken in Newfoundland. It almost looks like he wants to do something near that little post, don't you think? Haha

The weather is back to its unbearable-self. It is like 28 degrees at 9am. I like the hot weather, but walking outside in it, is unbelievable. By the time I get to work at 9.30am, I am roasting hot and sweating like a mule. I am sure there must be some relief in the future days? I hope so, anyway.

I have also decided to stop drinking for one month. No excuses, no slacking, just do it. I have been socially drinking way too much lately and am sick of it, to tell you the truth. So, starting on Monday, August 7th, I will not have a drink of alcohol until September 7th, at least. I know some of you will say whatever, but I am serious about it this time. It has been almost a year since I quit smoking, so I know I can do whatever I put my mind to.

Watch this page for updates, as they say!!!!!



1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Dear Paul...

I really enjoy reading your blog every morning.

Dave reads it too and he says "Hi".

I sent you an E mail about a week ago but I am wondering if you received it, as your computer crashed.

Best wishes always.......

Bob (London, Ontario).