Tuesday, August 29, 2006

Jason Wanted An Honourable Mention!!!!!!

It has been a while since I blogged by my standards..... a whole four days!!!!
I decided to sit down and do a nice big long one to let you all catch up on all the happenings over the weekend and the start of the week.

First of all, this pic below is a classic. The email started off describing how a man had found out his ex-wife had bought a new car with all the support money he had been sending her. You are not meant to scroll down until the end of the little blurb. Needless to say the man is describing the latest model of car that she bought and all the blah blah about how she can afford it because he is sending her all that money every month. Don't get it yet.... don't look at the first picture..... scroll down to the second picture below the balloon! The ex-wife's new model car!




This picture here is one taken by a mate of mine, Gareth who is living in Ulsan and was the coach of the Wonshot Wanderers while I was there. We became great friends and he is coming with Dave and I to Taiwan in October during Chuseok, which is the Korean version of Thanksgiving Day and is also 3 days long.

Gareth is an avid photographer and is very good too, I must say. If you want to check out his pictures, check out the link on my blog, which says "Gareth's Website."

This picture is off of his website as well as the other ones further down the page. I tried to get a few others, but they were copyrighted.
I gave Gareth some guff about that by leaving a comment on his webpage. They are great pics and actually Gareth just came back from a week's vacation in Taiwan. That means that he has already scoped the place out for Dave and I and himself for when we go in October. We should have a great time. We are only going for 4 days, which I think will be long enough.






Well, first things are first. An honourable mention on the blog for Jason who I work with, as he has been bugging me to put him on my blog.


Well, Jason hails from America, can't remember where now, but is it important? Just joking, Jason!!! Anway, I feel sorry for him as he has to sit beside me in work and listen to my constant nattering and my sick of sense of humour; I think?

Jason is very quiet and I would describe him as "deep in thought!" He is a good guy to work with and is very easy going. He always says on the weekend that he is going to call me and I always answer him back something like, " Yeh, right Jason, as if!"

Anyway, this Friday night after my 12.2 km run (90 minutes non-stop), I called him up and told him that I was heading for "Monkey Beach." He asked me if I was going there for sure and of course I told him in very polite English, that of course I was.

I met up with Dave and Chris and about 10 minutes later Jason showed up. So we actually hung out for a little while.... amazing eh Jason!


I was as high as a kite after having completed my 12.2 km run. I had so much energy, it was unbelievable. I felt such a sense of accomplishment and actually couldn't believe that I actually did it. But, I did!!!!!!

I was a bundle of energy the whole night and a few people commented that I should never work mornings again as the afternoon shift suited me better, especially my attitude and energy level..... hehe.


After much thought over the weekend, I decided that I am not going back to Avalon after my contract finishes. I am so tired of rushing around, which is what I have been doing ever since I finished university back in September 2004.

Rush here, rush to Kyoungju, rush to Ulsan, rush to Bundang. I am not rushing for anyone or anything anymore. I will buy an open ticket and come back when I am ready. I want to go to England for a week and also go to Amsterdam while I have some time off.

Dave has family in Holland and of course I have tons of family in Liverpool, which I hope you all know is my hometown. I left there at almost 15 years old and emigrated to Canada with my family.

That was back in 1978..... shit that is a long time ago, but great memories and a life changing experience, which I have to thank my Mum and Dad for, over and over again!!!!!!

There are much better jobs in Seoul, with less hours and more pay. Plus, it is more my style to change jobs every year. I don't get bored and it is a new challenge. I meet new people and learn new things and of course, most of all, find new places to explore. That was the whole idea of coming to Asia and to join the leagues of teachandtravel.com alumni!!!!

Well, now we are onto Saturday. Saturday morning, I woke up early and went out and about. I went to the gym about 3pm, had a good workout and then went home to clean the place and do some washing and general housekeeping.

The plan was to go to Itaewon on Saturday afternoon, about 5.30pm or so. Dave and I left from Sohyeon at about that time. It was pissing down rain just as we got on the bus. By the time we arrived across the river going into Itaewon, the rain had already stopped.





We usually get off the bus and walk up what we refer to as "Embassy Drive," as all the foreign Embassies are on this one street that we walk on just before we get into the middle of Itaewon.

We decided however to take a cab as it was so muggy and humid. If we had walked, we would have ended up eating and drinking our own sweat. Plus, it is only about 2 bucks each or less to split a cab. So that was that. We ended up in Itaewon and went to our regular place, "Geckos."

At Geckos we ordered some food. I had the chili chicken soup and some chicken tenders and Dave had something that I can't remember, but I do remember he ordered the chicken quesadillas. We shared everything and let me tell you, it was awesome food and very reasonable.

Probably the best western food that I have tasted since being in Bundang. I was very impressed and it was mostly all healthy. The soup was really spicy and I only had a couple of pieces of the chicken tenders and the quesadilla.

Billy, another friend of ours and Kyle who we met about a month ago, showed up to join us. There was initially no seats for them, but one opened up, so we sat together having some food and drinks.

Billy is a big wine drinker, so he was enjoying his wine. Dave is into "Hoegarden" beer these days and I am on my vodka and oranges of course. Kyle is not much of a drinker and actually prior to coming to Korea, he told us he had never drank before. Oh, we are corrupting the young chap!!!!!!!!

We ended up leaving Geckos and then went to another pub behind the Hamilton Hotel, which is a central focal point in Itaewon. Tons of foreigners everywhere of course as it is the biggest concentration of foreigners in Korea, also due to the big American army base there too. There are actually places in certain areas that have signs that say, "No GIs Allowed!"

It is a long story, but suffice to say, there has been a lot of trouble with some of them and it has created a lasting reputation for the rest of the good GIs.

We met a fella wearing a Liverpool shirt in the bar and it was the latest one, complete with the stripes and the lot. His name is Simon and of course we sat and talked to him for a little bit. He said they were showing the Liverpool game across the street in "Scrooge." I had been there before with Dave to watch the England vs Portugal game during the World Cup.

We watched the first half there and just before the second half was about to start, rugby showed up on the screen. There were loads of Kiwis and South Africans in the bar and we finally figured out why; there was a game between New Zealand and South Africa. New Zealand have already clinched the tournament, but this was South Africa's first home game of the tournament, or something like that.

Anyway, we ended up walking up the street to a place called "Jesters" that show a lot of the LFC games. It was a shite feed and it was like watching a video game. Anyway, no more goals were scored after the first half and LFC ended up winning 2-1.

Billy and Kyle had taken off from the place before Scrooge. They headed back to Bundand and were done for the night. Dave and I carried on to Geckos again, but then decided to meet this Korean fella that we had met a few weeks before, Anthony. He has just finished his military duty and is what I refer to as a 'walking hard-on."

We met him in Kangnam, which is a really busy area with all the dance clubs and hopping places. We met him in front of a place on the main street and headed to a small pub where they play good North American music. We had a few drinks there and decided to go to a dance club called 'Harlem."

Dave was really tired, as it was 1.30am by this time and decided to go back to Bundang. I wish I had gone back with him, but I decided to stay there with Anthony. We went to Harlem and it was a madhouse with wall to wall people and it was full of boss posers. The women were all dead young and oh so vain! It got on my nerves to tell you the truth.

Anthony was like a lion on the prowl, hitting on anything and everything, even though he did have his backpack on and a pair of lame shorts and pathetic shoes!!!!!!

We left there to go across the street to another dance club, "MB" I think it is called. I went in there and wanted to leave the minute that I got in there. As I was getting ready to leave, you will not guess who I saw? Jason!!!!!! Yeh, he was there with some Korean girl that I didn't see and he was as surprised as I was. 2 times in one weekend. What is going on Jason!!!!!

I hightailed it out of the one club as Anthony was busy dancing with some Korean bird and he was getting on my wick anyway. I got a cab back to Bundang and as I was about half way, Anthony called me and asked me where I was at! I told him that I was half way home, catch you later dude. I don't think I will be going anywhere with Anthony again. He is an okay fella, but dead flakey and not my style. Sorry Anthony, but catch you later dude!!!!!

That was it for Saturday night. I ended up getting back to Bundang about 4am, which was great by me. It only cost about 30 dollars to get back too. It is a good 25 minute drive. I can't imagine how much that would cost in Canada.

Anyway, enough for now. I will carry on with the rest of the story in another blog. Enough typing for now and don't want to make the blog too too big.... hehe.










1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Wow Gareth is back in Ulsan. Hello Gareth. Take it easy kidder...