Friday, August 04, 2006

My Laptop Has Crashed Again!

Well, it was fun while it lasted! I think there is something seriously wrong with my laptop now. It started making a funny noise, like a clinking sound and then would not load up Windows or anything. I put in the Windows disk and it came up as saying it could not detect any hardware. I am no expert, but I think that means that it is not recognizing the hard-drive, which means there is a problem with it.

Derrick told me that if there was something else to go wrong with the laptop, to not put any more money into it. I am going to heed his advice, but am going to see him tonight and he will have a look at it.

The thing doesn't really owe me much. I got it off a girl that I worked with at BLJC in Markham. She sold it to me with an external cd burner, case and all the programs for 600 dollars. That was almost 3 years or so ago. Considering the way the pcs have progressed in the last few years, it is a little ancient, to say the least. It is very slow and takes a long time when you want to multi-task. If Derrick can give me a good deal on a reconditioned one with all the bells and whistles, I might consider it, but don't want to spend more than about 800 bucks on one.







I kind of felt like the picture below sometimes when Windows would start up. I have been very patient with it, but need to upgrade as such. I used to make fun of my Mum and Dad about how slow their computer was, so it would be a bit cheeky of me to keep an ancient slow workhorse. Even Derrick when I was there the last time, was laughing about how slow it was. He called it a 'workhorse!'



Today is somewhat of a relaxing day, as on Fridays I have only 3 classes. 2 morning classes and then a 4 hour break and then one afternoon class from 5.20pm to 6.40pm and then I am done for the night.

I went to the gym today and did a bit of weight-lifting and then ran for about 35 mins and 5kms. I weighed out at 97 kilos, which is about 215. That is a loss of about 8 or 9 kilos or 20 pounds from about 8 or 9 weeks ago. I am eating very healthy. Loads of vegetables and fruit and nothing fried. I am not starving myself at all, just eating good stuff. I am eating a lot of cereal and when I go out on the weekend, am drinking only a vodka and orange or soju. I never did like the taste of beer, so it was a bit lame really for me to have been drinking beer.

Today it is absolutely roasting. It feels like about 50 degrees outside. I will take this rather than the rain anyday. My a/c in the apartment is boss, so it is like walking into a fridge when I go home. It is not that expensive either as most of the utilities in the whole apartment block are averaged out and shared by all. That translates into an average bill of between 100 and 150 dollars for everything a month. That is cheap really by Western standards, don't you think?

I am getting ready for my afternoon class, which is a beginner writing class. I teach them how to write paragraphs and how to put useful information and write simple grammatically correct English. The kids are only 11 and 12, so it is a challenge to get them to think of anything other than computer games and playing some sport. The Korean kids don't write essays in the school system, so it is foreign to them when they start learning the basics of essay structure.


They are doing well and I can see an improvement in them. I hope that is due to me being a good teacher. I drill them about answering the questions to answer each of the paragraphs!!!

I hope to have some good news about my laptop tonight or about another laptop that will be a good deal. I think maybe Derrick can build one to suit me for a reasonable price..... we shall see. I saw some laptops on the internet today in Canada that were about 600 dollars brand new. I think it would be a good idea to wait until I go to Canada, but that is 6 months away yet and I do need a pc for my work and pleasure.

No comments: