Friday, September 01, 2006

Foreigner With Dogs! Give It Up, Really!!!!!!!

Jason and I were having lunch across the street today at a local chain Korean place. Great food and they have my favourite; curry and boiled rice. Jason usually goes there as apposed to the other one that is next to the school.

I usually go to the other one, but they don't have the curry and rice otherwise called in Korean; karaedopbap. This place does and I was thrilled to find it out. See what friendship gets you sometimes!




As we were walking back from the restaurant, Jason and I saw a foreigner walking a small dog. I mentioned to Jason that I thought it was absolute bullshit how so many foreigners buy dogs when they are in Korea. Jason said that he thought the same thing and he agreed that it was so unfair to the dog to do that ,as most of the foreigners here are not here for the long haul and even if they are, they travel for months at a time to different places on vacation too.






What do they do with the dog once they either decide to travel or move back to their home country? Most of them sell the thing of course! I have met so many foreigners that have either sold the dog or given it to someone else that is here. They all say that they are going to take the dog home with them, but once they realize the responsibility of looking after one and the other costs associated with it, they soon change their minds!

Hey, I love dogs and also had two of them for almost 12 years. Never again would I have a dog! I really like dogs and used to go to dog shows and know lots of the breeds and other things about them. They are just so much work. My Dad thought I was nuts when I bought my second dog when I was married. I told him that I felt guilty about the one dog being alone so much, so the second dog was to kind of keep the other one company when we were not home; which was a lot by the way.

It defeats the purpose of having a dog really, doesn't it? You are supposed to spend time with the dog and isn't that the reason that you buy one in the first place? Needless to say, my dogs never got walked that much and were on their own a lot of the time. I still feel some guilt to this day about not having given them the time they deserved, but at least I know it and know that I could never have another dog again.






It would be cool if the Korean government made a law that a foreigner could not buy a dog here and could not own a pet unless they signed something that said when they leave, they must take the animal with them. That is never going to happen and it is quite sad to think that the dogs just get passed around from foreigner to foreigner or owner to owner. Kind of screws the dog up, I think!

Some of the foreigners have said that they feel lonely and that a pet allows them to adjust to being here alone and in another country. Again, I know I sound like a broken record; they are doing it for very selfish reasons.

If anyone is thinking about going to another country, I hope this blog makes you think twice about purchasing an animal while you are either visiting there or working there.

As Spike Lee would say, " Do the right thing!"

Friday night here and time to enjoy the weekend. I didn't go to the gym today, but will join Dave's gym and sauna tomorrow morning.

Loads of players transferred in the English league today. It is hard to keep up with all the movement. Some good buys for some good clubs. Let's see if it makes them more competitive.

Liverpool have a couple of weeks of big games, starting next Saturday and some big matches are included in there.

The first is the derby against Everton and then PSV Eindhoven in the Champions League and then Chelsea in the Premiership.

This weekend and next Wednesday is England vs Andorra and England vs Macedonia respectively.

1 comment:

Mike Belding said...

we took our dog home. most times i found people just shuffled their dogs off to another foreigner, and they eventually made their way to canada/UK/etc.