Monday, September 25, 2006

Who Cut The Cheese?



The weekend went by quite quickly, as usual. I really didn't get up to much by my usual standards. Stayed home on Friday night and got a good nights sleep as I had to wake up early on Saturday morning.

Saturday night, Dave and I went to watch the Liverpool vs Tottenham game at a local hangout that we have been to a lot. We went there during the World Cup to watch a few games. It is a full on Korean style place and has tv's everywhere.

It is called "Dukobee," which means toad in English. It is a very popular hangout as it is quite cheap. You get to pick from a menu of about 30 or more dishes and you can choose any three for about 10 dollars. They have a vast array of food to pick from though. They don't give you too much, but what do you expect for 10 bucks. The booze is quite cheap as well and Dave and I had some soju and some more soju and some more soju.... haha.

Actually we didn't get to bevied, but we enjoyed watching the game as Liverpool won 3-0 against Tottenham. We went to Dublin after that and then ended up going home about 4 am or so. I was feeling quite good considering earlier in the week, I thought I was on deathrow!

The picture above is quite an old one, dating back to June and July when the World Cup was on. I was actually getting ready to go watch a match at 4am in the morning at the same place, "Dukobee." I wore anything red as it was Korea playing. It was a good night as Korea ended up tying France 1-1. It was a long night though, as we got home after 6.30am. The game kicked off at 4am our time.





Now back to the title of the blog. The reason that I chose that title is that it is the exact title of the story that I taught all day today to my kids at Avalon. The story is called "Who cut the cheese." It actually talks about farting and other ways to say it, like toot, pass gas etc. It is hilarious and the kids, well some of them, got a really big kick out of it. It explains how bacteria mixes with foods and other things like beans, to create gas. We had some good laughs talking about what foods make you pass gas.

The boys of course enjoyed it more than the girls, but even some of the girls were laughing really hard and boy oh boy, what a subject to teach kids eh! I of course told them that my Dad was the 'Toot King' which they thought was hilarious and hey, it is not far off the truth, let me tell you...... sorry Dad, but if the shoe fits then wear it...... haha.

I told them the story of me in England getting a detention for farting in class and they thought I was joking. I really did get one when I was in class and my football coach, French teacher, was the one that gave it to me. He was also the detention teacher, which is unusual because it is always another teacher and there was a fella behind me in detention, farting away. Mr. Magill looked up at me twice and shook his head and then asked me what day I wanted for the next detention. I told him that it wasn't me and that it was the lad behind me. He asked the lad and the lad said yes, it was him. He didn't do anything to the lad for farting though.

I think Mr. Magill had had enough of my messing around in class at that time hence the detention. I was always the class clown. Does that surprise any of you? Haha...........

I had a Korean lesson on Sunday with that girl Caroline that I mentioned. I am also going to teach her younger sister English and her a little too. We meet at the Coffeebean and just study at the table. She bought me a basic Korean book and it is not bad as far as Korean English books go. I learnt a little even in the first lesson. I have to do some homework, practicing some writing and reading, which I will do before the next lesson; this Sunday at 2pm. She is a good teacher and I think I will get better all the time with her helping me.

I sent my usual money back today through the bank and that was at 1.30pm our time here. I checked at 9pm in school and the money was already in my account!!! Can't beat modern technology, can you!!!!!!! It still amazes me how easy things are sometimes with all the new technology. What did we ever do before? We were probably a lot more tolerant, I think.

It makes me laugh when people complain about a slow connection on the Internet. Well, I guess we are somewhat spoilt, I would say. It doesn't matter that the person or the site that you are connected to is about 10,000 kms away, does it?

Liverpool play Galatasaray on Wednesday in the next match of the Champions League Group Phase. The game is at Anfield. I would like to see Fowler at least be on the bench as well as Crouch get a game. If Benitez is going to rotate, then he needs to rotate fairly if it suits his tactics and use all the players so they can get match fitness and run-outs.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi Paul sorry you're not feeling too good but once you get those essays marked you will be fine!! that is a lot of marking.You should be careful about working out you forget you are getting a little older and you have to take things a bit easier and I mean that.Watched Man United yesterday and first half they were awful second half not bad and of course they won.Chelsea is on today but I wish it was Liverpool but they are not showing it.Loved the class you took about fartin and I bet the kids were histerical, and you should have told them your Mum had a big peg made for her nose!!! If we don't hear from you have a great time in Taiwan and look after yourself and be careful.Love always.Mum oxoxoxo