Sunday, February 18, 2007

Down In The 'Shwa' (Nickname For Oshawa!)



After a lovely breakfast courtesy of my Mum, I got on the bus and took it downtown to Dundas and Wellington. I decided that I had not seen The Covent Garden Market since its restoration.


As I was taking a few pics of the downtown, which are included above and below, I decided that I would go and get some money out of the TD Canada Trust Machine at the entrance to Covent Garden Market.




As I was waiting, a fella walked in the door and said, "Paul!" It was Dave's brother, Fred(below)!!!! Again what a freaky small world it is.




I asked him if he wanted to go for a coffee and he said that he ran the coffee shop right opposite where we were and to go there and have a coffee. So that is what we did. We sat down for about 15 minutes and shot the breeze about his coffee shop and how life was in Korea for Dave and I.




I had to cut the meeting short as I had to go and walk to the VIA train station to catch the bus at 11.45am. I left Fred's shop at about 11.15.




I got on the VIA train at 11.45 and off it set to Oshawa. I got to Union Station in Toronto at about 2pm and then had to wait an hour and a bit to catch a connecting train to Oshawa.


I went to Harvey's restaurant and had a grilled chicken burger sandwich. I went back to the waiting area and sat on a bench for about 25 mins until I got on the train to Oshawa.


The train only took about 25 mins and I arrived at Oshawa station. I waited there about 15 mins and my brother-in-law Nuri and my sister Jackie, came and picked me up.




We headed to their house via Tim Horton's coffee shop once again. (The drive-thru of course.) We got there, I dropped off my bag, we returned to the Oshawa station and picked up Katie who had just got back from school.
She goes to UFT (University of Toronto) and commutes back and forth almost everyday. It is much cheaper than living on campus and better for her as she wouldn't miss home so much.


Then we went off to Swiss Chalet and I had a Santa Fe Chicken Sandwich.....I guess you have figured out that I like chicken by now........ Jackie(my sister below) and Katie(my niece below) had these spring rolls and bbq'd chicken wings. Nuri(our Jackie's husband below) had the quarter-chicken.




After the meal, we went back home. We sat around and then our Jackie decided to call and see if Mark Burke was home. She called and he wasn't, but he called back about an hour later and said that he and his wife Jackie were arriving home in about an hour.


We decided to go and visit them once they got home. While we were visiting them, Frank(below) and Mary-Lou(below,), friends of Mark and Jackie Burke's showed up. We sat around and talked and had a good laugh and I had a gin and tonic and then drank a few more beers.




As the time went on, Jackie Burke(below) and Mary-Lou(above) went out to the garage to smoke a cigarette and we all joined them and had some beers in the cold garage..... it was cold.




Mark and I decided that we would go to Rumour's, which is a bar just down the street and I would stay at his house and our Jackie would pick me up in the morning.




We got to Rumour's about 1.30am and stayed for one drink and then walked home again in the freezing cold. Mark had not brought his keys as he had decided to enter the house through the garage with the code on the electric opener. We had invited Terry, a fella that Mark knew to come and have a beer in the garage.




Mark(below) could not remember the access code and we tried all kinds of numbers. We ended up banging on the door, ringing the bell and pounding the window to try and wake Mark's wife, Jackie up. She didn't hear a thing. She was out for the night!!!!!!




We were getting cold waiting outside and soft shit Mark only had a thin coat on. We decided to ask Terry if he could go home and call Jackie on the phone to see if she would wake up. So off went Terry muttering the number he was trying to remember.


Between the time that Terry left, which was about 15 more mins, Mark finally remembered the code and in we went. We were frozen and we got in finally at 3.15am. We stayed up had one more beer and then went to bed.


An end to a very eventful and eventually very cold evening. I think it was -2000 or something last night.........lol.

No comments: