Thursday, April 19, 2007

Different Cultures That Is For Sure!

I had a conversation the other night with my roomate about parenting, believe it or not. She has 2 boys and I have one boy. Her boys are in their 20s and my son will be 20 in September.
Pic of Buckingham Palace gates.


It all started about her asking me if I had a good relationship with my son. I told her that it was okay, but still a little strained due to the history of the break-up between his mother and I.


Anyway, one thing led to another and we talked about how kids mature or don't and what things parents are responsible for or not.
Outside Buckingham Palace. Check out the double-chin caused by chip butties and sausage and bacon butties. It is gone now, by the way. I am 20 pounds lighter.


That is when I was completely blown away. I was telling her about how traditional I am and how my family is very British. Not that all families are like mine, but there is a thread of commonality amongst families in Britain. She explained about how she felt about families and how non-traditional hers is.
The souvenir shop at Liverpool's stadium, Anfield. You can see the shadow of Bill Shankly's statue reflecting in the window.


Where the difference in opinion came was about the kids seeing the grandparents. While I believe wholeheartedly that it is the responsibility of the parents to make sure the kids see the grandparents, she said it is the opposite! That the grandparents should be seeking out the kids all the time and that they should do the chasing per say.
Pic of our last night at Lark's Lane. Can't remember the name of the place, but we had a quiz night there later after the meal, which was good. I won 5 pound and picked our group out of a draw for a free bottle of wine, too.


I couldn't believe that she meant it. I mean why would grandparents run after their grandchildren? Parents are really supposed to run after their kids either, it should be the kids doing the running most of the time. Of course, it is not a literal meaing, it just means that the onus is on the kids." Honour Thy Mother And Father!!!!!!"


If a lot of people in Canada feel that way, now I know why families are so screwed up over there then. I have heard this before over the years, but thought it was just a few people here and there that were like that.


It was so weird because my roomate was so adamant that the parents and the grandparents should be the chasers.


Ah! Now I know how we got on the subject-we were talking about how some people are either chasers or sitters. You know the type; friends or family that never call you for that matter. You are always the one calling them. I just think that is people. Sometimes it annoys me that my friends or family don't call me as much as I call them, but I am most certainly not keeping score. That just creates a drama and I am not into that crap!!!!!


Afterwards, we agreed to disagree, but I was really amazed that someone could think that about their children or grandchildren. It is arse about face, if you ask me.
She then proceeded to tell me how screwed up her one son was and the other one kept somewhat in touch with her, the other one hardly did or did it when he felt like. He went to Australia and was there 2 months before she even knew. Didn't get an email or nothing from him. I guess her way worked then, didn't it......haha.


I don't mean to be judgmental as I have a screwed up relationship with my son, somewhat. But I will tell you one thing, I have stuck to my guns and not changed who I am or what I do because of my kid. I have tried to teach him some lessons about life, but it has been difficult because I have an angry mother in the mix that doesn't like me or my side of the family COMPLETELY.


Well as I said in the title. There are different cultures even when they speak the same language. That is for sure!


Anyone that has any comments about this, I would love to hear them, good or bad.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think that you either want a relationship or you dont! That goes for every type of relationship! You cant force anything. I just know that love has no sides and if someone is looking for reasons not to have any connection, so be it! There is no chance my kids will not stay in contact while they are single but once a significant other comes along, who knows??? Will I chase after them? For a short while....

Anonymous said...

I think there's a certain age where the grandparents will be too old to chase the kids, so at that point it would become the kids responsibility.
Unless the grandparents had a chauffeur.