Sunday, May 07, 2006

Where Are The Garbage Cans!!!!!!

In general there are a lack of garbage cans in Korea. I am dead serious. Usually they have them outside of variety stores and other places that you buy 'fast food.' However, they are very difficult to find when you are walking around on the streets or even in the parks. Almost everyone that comes to Korea from the West comments about this peculiar cultural phenomenon.



In Bundang, there are a few more than they had in Ulsan or other smaller cities, but still there is a lack of them everywhere. I walk to the bus stop everyday to get the bus to my school and all the way along the path there are blue garbage bags leaning against trees to put your garbage in! That at least is an improvement, but looks ridiculous. Imagine walking down a block or two and seeing about 20 garbage bags leaning against trees?

It is quite frustrating sometimes to tell you the truth, although it sounds funny when I am writing about it. I have to put a wrapper in my bag or just hold a cup or a can until I get to school or somewhere where there is a garbage can.

Even at most of the bus stops there are no garbage cans. Even with the lack of garbage cans, Korean people really are not litter bugs. They don't throw a lot of trash on the ground. They are very clean and responsible people.

The only garbage that you tend to see is not on the ground, but in buckets and plants holders. Of course all the 'flyers' that are distributed everyday and I mean everyday are all over the place. It is part of the culture here to have flyers from clubs and businesses spread everywhere over the city. They are cleaned up everyday though, only for the same thing to happen the very next day. It gives people jobs though and I think it is cool as long as they clean it up. Hey making a mess is okay as long as you clean it up, right?

I have noticed that since I came up to Bundang there is a lot more dust up here! It must be the 'yellow dust' that I mentioned in my previous blog. There is always dust on the windows and cars no matter how the weather is.

Yesterday was Saturday and it rained all day, which was a welcome relief. We have not had any rain for quite a while. At least 3 weeks, I would say. Everything looks so green now and a lot of the dust got washed away, temporarily!

I am feeling much better now. I have more energy and don't feel as tired, but I am still a little fatigued. I think I had a bad cold and staying away from exercising was a good idea. This week I will get back to exercising and getting more physically fit.

I am going to buy some hair colour now and turn my hair more 'blond' again....... haha! Actually it is to cover the whole bunch of grey that I have on the sides. Isn't it great getting grey hair! I will take a pic and post it on my blog soon.



9 comments:

Anonymous said...

i hate the lack of garbage cans. especially in the subway! sometimes you have to wait 45 minutes until you're out of the station until you can find one! ridiculous! argh.

Anonymous said...

This site is one of the best I have ever seen, wish I had one like this.
»

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...

I say briefly: Best! Useful information. Good job guys.
»