Friday, November 03, 2006

Age In Korea Can Sometimes Get On Your Nerves

Of course in Asian culture, especially Korea, age is a determining factor because of how someone is supposed to address you as well as respect you. Korea however are a little antiquated in this belief. While lots of other countries have merged their traditional past with some of the more modern progressions, when it comes to age, Korea is stuck in the ice-age!

It really is a pain in the butt sometimes because everytime and I mean everytime you meet someone, one of the first questions that they ask you is how old are you. Most of the time, I don't care really, but the odd time it gets on my bleedin' nerves. I get tired of hearing the same old thing, "You are old!"

I hear this from the students, okay I can handle that because they don't know any better and compared to them, anyone is old and also they no conception of what age is being so young. The normal people however, irritate the shite out of me to no end.

I really "HAD" no issues about age before, other than the normal getting older things; wrinkles, loss of hair, change in skin and body shape.... blah blah blah. However, I find myself in Korea, thinking if I am indeed old or not. I know that it sounds ludicrous, but if you hear it enough, then you tend to start believing it and I hear it every damn day.... haha.

I like writing about stuff like this because it actually destresses me when I just get it 'out there.' This blog is like my own therapy really and I like it a lot.

Enough negativity for now. I am alive and am very thankful to be healthy and have my family and friends around me for support and love. I love you all!!!!!!


I have 12 essays more to do.... wahoooooo!!!!!!! I am so glad that they are out of the way, but next week or the week after, we have the same thing all over again. I will enjoy the break between more than ever.

That picture of the cat above is awesome. Congratulations to the photographer who caught such a funny, awesome image of a moggie!!!!

This weekend Dave and I have some plans to go to a posh club in Seoul. A Korean man has invited us along and probably par for the course, he will pay for everything. We have to wear some nice clothes, something I am lacking a lot of at the moment. Need to buy lots of clothes when I go back to Canada, that is for sure and the basic colours and styles that will go with everything. Not like the gaudy styles that are the norm here in Korea. I don't want to wear half the stuff here and even if I wanted to, the prices are out of this world if you want some "western" style clothes.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

You are only as old as you feel and if you feel with your hands!!
Who gives a shite....
Age is only a number..
I still feel like I am 16 but when I look in the mirror...wow...
Love you lots, cant wait to go shopping with you
Jackie

Dave Anjema said...

u are younger and have just as much energy as some 20 year olds dude!